Data Validation: Prevent Physical Records Inventory Issues
You may have a defensible Records and
Information Management (RIM) program in
place, but driving compliance across your
entire organization is likely a nightmare.
Unfortunately the legal reality is having
no policy is better than an inconsistent
policy application. You understand the
importance of consistently describing
records sent to offsite storage, but the
challenge is to get others to follow
If your users are sending cartons offsite
without the proper metadata, it makes it
difficult to do your job. Without appropriate
metadata it may be impossible to quickly
access information when you need it, which
can lead to discovery costs for litigation.
What’s more, you likely won’t be able to
make retention and disposition decisions
necessary to control storage costs without
the proper descriptions on cartons sent
How This Affects You
- You may need help getting employees to comply with your policy
in an unobtrusive way company-wide.
- It’s difficult to quickly or efficiently get the information you need
when you have to weed through unidentified inventory.
- You may struggle to drive user compliance in applying appropriate
metadata consistently to cartons sent offsite.
- You may have acquired companies with inventories that aren’t
well described and want to stop the pile of unidentified inventory
What If You Could ...
- Monitor and drive better behavior company-wide?
- More easily search for and find what you need?
- Leverage a better process to get users to describe cartons sent to
offsite storage appropriately?
- Receive notification about any cartons sent offsite without
metadata so you can fix the problem quickly?
Data Validation: Prevent
For go-forward inventory, you’ll have a process to help
prevent future inventory issues by requiring that your
users add metadata for cartons sent to offsite storage
through one of the following setup options:
Iron Mountain Site Validation:
Users request box pickup via Iron Mountain Connect™,
phone, email, transmittal or fax. All cartons are scanned
at pickup and you’ll receive proactive exception reporting
once the cartons are brought back to the storage
facility. You can either add missing metadata or
have Iron Mountain add it on your behalf.
Customer Site Validation:
For our premium option with a stricter setup, users
request all pickup orders online through Iron Mountain
Connect. At pickup, any cartons with incomplete metadata
are left at your location so you can prevent cartons
without metadata from getting into storage.
What You Gain ...
- More consistent execution of your program.
- Ability to find what you need more easily.
- Improved program cost and risk management.
- Timely notification of missing metadata.
An international telecommunications company
had multiple locations in a decentralized model,
resulting in a fragmented records and information
management program. Recognizing the need for a
more streamlined approach, the company worked
with Iron Mountain to set up Data Validation.
They identified required fields to have adequate
metadata for boxes sent to offsite storage. Now,
users are required to add metadata and the records
management team receives proactive exception
reporting, allowing them to fix any incompletely
- Improved metadata capture on cartons sent offsite
by 80 percent within six months.
- Reduced time the records management team
spent on reconciliation issues by two days